Sunday, September 2, 2007

Got a light?

I was too busy bitching about my week from hell (ok, more like de-stressing) that I forgot to mention some potentially awesome news.

On Friday I got a call back from PiƱon Terrace. They asked if I could come in and go over the finishing touches of my application before the big-wigs come down from Denver to look over everyone who is applying.

At this point, I had not heard back from the housing project since I faxed my "alternative references" in about 3 weeks ago. I wanted alternative references because I was terrified they might find some dark cloud looming in my financial past, or my lack of good rental history. So in a state of deep paranoia, I got my boss and co-workers to fill out these reference sheets and sent them in ASAP. Honestly, Could I look more desperate, and/or guilty?

I even went to the extreme of asking them if they needed MORE references, only to be cut off by the case worker's- "Um, NO. Your file is getting quite thick, actually."

Gotcha.

Didn't expect to hear back from them after that,

To my joy and surprise though, I was asked to come in for further information.

Apparently, my income is now at the 60th percentile instead of the 50th. The project is only allowing 10% of units in the entire complex to be rented to 60th percentile families.
With my contract's extension to a 12 month employee, I technically am making more a month. Before, when I was an 11th month employee, I was only contractually paid for 11 months, but I asked that to be spread across 12 months, so I would not be left with empty pockets next June.

Luckily, my case worker told me that I am at the top of the list for one of the 2-bedroom apartments for the 60th percentile bracket. The rent would be $730 a month plus utilities (more than I had originally planned on spending) and they told me that they can guarantee that utilities won't be higher than $60 a month. Even in the winter!

So $800 a month is a little scary, but I think I can make it work. My paycheck last month was significantly higher than I thought it would be, and if I can keep pulling similar income, then rent should be doable. And as scary as all that may be, I keep coming back to these warm and fuzzy thoughts:

  • LB will have her own room.
  • I will have my own room.
  • I will be living in an apartment that is mine.
  • I will no longer be living with my mother.

I know all of this may sound a tad selfish and materialistic, but after 6 months of returning to my high school life (this time with a baby attached), these thoughts bring me more happiness than if I had just won the lottery.

I know that this is not for sure. But its a hope that was NOT presently in my life before. This hope is making all my worries a little less worrisome, LB's teething a little less grating, job issues a little less stressful, and making the ends of my mouth perk up just a little bit more.

I drove out to the jobsite where they should be finishing the apartments by October, and got a slight adrenaline rush. I REALLY want to live there now.

I hope I haven't jinxed it.

Cross your fingers for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I'm stoked for you. Hope you are better. Call me.

Love ya, JL

Liz Dwyer said...

Fingers are crossed for you. I hope it works out.